From Diaries to Blogs – Sensational!

10:31 AM at 10:31 AM

Remember the days of the diaries, the days of exploring the innermost psyche of self, the days of gawking deep into the cracked mirrors and reasoning their cause, days of retrospection, the days of constant pursuit of self, days of just pouring out experiences, good or bad, on paper? In olden times, writing with quills by means of a bottle of ink had such an unmistakable style of its own….envisage Valmiki using this tool to bring into being the epic Ramayana! One sentence on paper, off late, comes with a shivering wrist ache, thanks to the era of keyboards and electronic records!

Diaries offered an avenue for escapism, a pathway to showcase one’s real self, a channel to voice one’s opinion without having to worry about counterattacks or rejection. For those who maintained diaries (I am sure they still exist), it formed one’s secluded world outside of one’s real existence. An addiction it aroused, an irresistible need to express and to break free! No wonder the diaries were a part of many a script writers’ imagination, many a director’s fantasy…the mystery in Ghajini would have remained obscure without Sanjay Ramasamy’s outpour of daily activities into a diary...A diary kept Bridget Jones true to herself…the diary brought two-hearts-in love together forever and the diary was a means to sentence the culprit to misery in many a plots!

Maintaining diaries is such a private act, ironically though; it provokes curiosity in one and all to exactly find out what’s in those pages :) Anyways, talking about the current generation, writing is some tedious work of the past, its now all about blogs, blogging and did I already mention blogging? Atleast keeping diaries was not everyone’s cup-of-tea; however blogging is every tom, dick and harry’s pastime. Blogging has created such a sensation among the masses, it is no longer limited to personal space; it is about education, creativity, exchange, competition, business, and trust me when it is slow at work, this is a perfect medium to yell out your frustrations or deviate your idle mind to a less devilish atmosphere. People are no longer afraid to confront any opposition, people are no longer afraid of who they really are and to speak for themselves…I wonder why being yourself needs to be so tough in the first place (may be another blog….some other day) :)

From college kids to the working class, from movie stars to cooks and chefs, from commentators to political speakers, from house wives to social workers, blogging has caught up like wildfire and why not – it is such a great platform for self development at so many levels. It is interesting to see how, what we do in 2009 is inherited from centuries ago. The mediums have changed, but the essence remains! Although it is essential to practice what we preach or believe in; I feel this is a great beginning in itself. It is time for the evolution of the Homosapiens!!!

PS: Here’s a toast to all my blogger friends who keep me alive and writing!!! Cheers!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never maintained a dairy nor do I write blogs. But dear, like reading what you write :)
Keep going!!

lafemmereva said...

:) U know what? I still have a diary!!

lucky said...

i had a diary. I still write, 'coz i think better when i write. So i write using pen n paper at work and sometimes when i write my blog articles. I also write hand written letters to a few people :) .. so writing is still alive and hence no wrist aches, at least yet :)

Swetha Krishnan said...

@ Nisha - Thanks!

@ Reva - Cool, I would love to have one too :)

@ Lucky - good for you! I used to write letters to my mom during my initial years in the US....its a thing of the past for me....hmmm

Ersa said...

Hhmmm...very well written. Gets me thinking now - I don't know how much I can write before I start whining about wrist aches and such. Must try it sometime... :-)

Nice blog.

Swetha Krishnan said...

@ Ersa - give it a shot, trust me after all the tryst with the keyboard, it is hard to believe that I cannot write more than a few lines at a stretch....
Thanks for stopping by :)

lucky said...

knock knock!

Saya said...

I still have an old diary i used to write in..